11.10.2008

La Moustache (2005)



La Moustache (2005)


Marc: "What if I shave my moustache off?"
Agnes: "No idea. I like you with it. I don't know you without it."


Some people find this film "compelling" yet "unsatisfying," however as time has more commonly shown (in a well-directed exercise of looking for/finding these odd films) not many find (if even understand the reasoning) why these "kinds" of celluoidial-feasts entertain, satisfy and deeply-magnetize certain individual's tingly-tong of "Oh, this really gets me!"

This brilliant, uniquely-cinematic drama seeps of Luis Buñuel-esque exertions, intentional-blunders, unsetteling unnervingness and am-
I-going-mad-or-are-they-going-mad?-grandeur of motion. As one reviewer stated, the film is "A meditation on the complexities of intimate relationships" and life's faulty performances that keep most people stating how "life is such a beautifully-weird thing."




Agnes does not, nor does anyone, notice that Marc has shaved off his moustache.


From imdb: "Marc is sitting in his bath one morning and asks his wife, "how would you feel if I shaved off my mustache?" She doesn't think it's a great idea, for the 15 years they've been married, she's never known him without his 'stache. He shaves it off anyway, but when he sees his wife, she doesn't notice, neither do their friends at dinner that night, neither do his co-workers. Marc finally flips out, shouts at everyone, tells them he's tired of their little joke, and what do they really think. His wife and co-workers are appalled, what is he talking about, he's never had a moustache. In fact, he's imagining other things as well, or is he?"

Most people didn't enjoy the conclusion of the film, but I personally found that it strengthened the bizarrity of it. My critical taste-buds seem to produce a train of reasoning when it comes to these 'types' of films. I predict, in the years to come, this particular delight will have a "cult following" just like Martin Scorsese's early effort, the wonderfully-strange film, The Big Shave.





La Moustache (2005) -
Marc ponders why no one notices.



No comments: